This recipe comes from Publix Family Style magazine. You can request this magazine free from Publix. You can also request for free Publix Grape and Publix GreenWise magazine.
This recipe is on my Co-op Lunch List, for next year. 🙂
Southwestern Chicken and Black Bean Salad
- 1/4 cup snipped fresh cilantro
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 3 TB olive oil
- 1 TB honey
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 12 oz skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 2 cloves garlic. crushed
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 10 oz package torn romaine or mixed greens
- 1 15 oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Monterey Jack Cheese
- 1 medium tomato, chopped
- 2 slices red onion, halved and separated into rings.
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 3/4 cup tortilla chips, optional bottled salsa and/or dairy sour cream
For dressing, combine cilantro, lime juice, 2 TB olive oil, honey , and cumin. Cover and shake well before using.
Cut chicken into thin, bite-size strips. In a large skillet, cook garlic and chili powder in 1 TB hot oil over medium-high heat for 30 seconds. Add chicken strips and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until lightly browned and no longer pink. Transfer chicken mixture to medium bowl. Cover and chill.
Line a large serving platter with the torn romaine. Arrange the black beans, chicken mixture, cheese, tomato, and onion on top of the lettuce (do not toss together). Cover and chill salad up to 2 hours. Add avocado just before serving.
To serve, pour the dressing over the salad. Garnish with chips, if desired. Serve with salsa and sour cream, if desired. Makes four servings.