Physical Science – Mod. 4

We are finishing up Module 4 this week.  I think the students liked this module better than the last one.   The only lab I want to talk about in length this time is the first one.  I forgot to take my camera, so I did the experiment again at home.    My test tubes were borrowed from my MIL (the one with the portible burner) and they were sticky with tape glue and very yellow.  To clean them, I just soaked them in vinegar for a while.  They cleaned up real nice!

Experiment 4.1   The Chemical Compositon of Water

What you need:    Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Make a solution of epsom salt and water in both the jar and the bowl.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Place the test tubes in the bowl; tilting them to let out all the air.  You don’t want any air bubbles.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Take you finger and seal the end of the test tubes, while under water.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Take the test tubes and carefully place them in the jar of solution.  Do not let go of the test tube until the end is under the water in the jar.  Remember you are keeping the air out.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After both tubes are in the jar, place the battery in. Wait a few minutes before placing the test tubes on the terminals.  You want all the air to come out of the battery.  Notice the white arrow is pointing to a large bubble; that is air coming out of the battery.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Here is a top view of the battery before the tubes are on the terminals.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

After a few minutes place the test tubes on the terminals.  You do not want to lift the tubes out of the water.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Observe for a while to see what happens.   After a while you should have one tube half empty and the other tube 1/4 empty.   That didn’t happen in any of the times we tried this.  We did get a good amount of hydrogen gas in one tube, but very little oxygen in the other.  I was still able to show that there is more hydrogen than oxygen in water.  This must happen a lot, because Dr. Wile goes into some detail on experimental error. 😀

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

If you want to see what else we have done with Exploring Creation with Physical Science, then click on the Physical Science button that the top of the Applie blog. 🙂

Here is fellow homeschooler’s post on this module, I think you will enjoy.  Sahm I Am, Wonder’s of Water.

Advertisements

12 responses to “Physical Science – Mod. 4

  1. It just isn’t normal for an experiment to fail.

  2. I remember when we first did this one 7 years ago (can it be so long ago?). Thanks for posting this Michelle. 🙂

  3. We’ll be doing this next year.

  4. So what else did you have to say about this module? 🙂

    And my real question is does it matter what size the test tubes are? My sil has some, and I’m not sure if they’re the same size as yours.

    • Uh, I have no idea what else I was going to say. lol I’ll dig out the book and look at the module and let you know.

      The test tubes were small. It doesn’t matter what size they are, but it is best they are smaller so that they fit nicely over the battery.

    • Well, I don’t remember what else I was going to say about this module. I remember the students liked 4.5 Water Cohesion. Water Polarity 4.2, did not work for us. A running faucet would have been a lot better than a cup with a hole in it.

      Sorry, I have no idea what else I was going to say about it.

  5. No problem!
    And I’m learning I should test before I do them w/ the kids. 🙂

  6. I linked to this post! Your pic of the hydrogen and oxygen was better, simply because we barely got a bubble of air in the oxygen tube!
    We didn’t have a lot of time… 😦

    And we did finally get the water polarity to work. I have a picture!
    It actually worked better than the picture I posted; I was doing it on my own, trying to get it to work, and I’d hollar for Rebekah to come see. Then it of course wouldn’t work. :\
    We finally got it, though not as good that time. I think we’d used up all the negative electrons in our hair! 😀

  7. Oh, I had googled it for images, and saw we had been holding the comb differently. Maybe that’s why it finally worked.

    AFTER we were done and the kids had left, I found one where someone used a balloon instead of a comb. WOW — it worked great!
    I penciled in a note to use a balloon when JohnDavid and Bethany get to that grade.

  8. My expirement failed to but i got 100 on test

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s