Instead of having an end-of-year exam, I opted for a fun vocabulary game. What could be funner than playing BINGO and winning prizes? 🙂
Using various vocabulary words from Exploring Creation with Biology by Dr. Jay Wile, 2nd Edition, I made ten BINGO Calling Cards. I used the Teacher’s Pet to make the playing cards. You may use the Bingo Macro up to three times, for free.
In the center of each card is a fun clip-art for the FREE square. After all cards were made and printed on card stock, I had them laminated at at School Aids for under $3.00. Love that store!
To make the calling cards, I used DonnaYoung”s nine-blank playing cards. Once these were made and printed on card stock, I had these laminated and then I cut them out. The black portion of the cards are the definitions. The gray part is the vocabulary word and next to that is the number of the module you can find the word in.
You have some options to playing this games.
- Call out the definitions and let the students look for the word. If they don’t know the word, then they can’t put a marker down. This was very difficult for my students. We went to the next step.
- Call out the definitions. If someone doesn’t know what it is, they may ask another student for the word. This worked out well until I realized only one student out of six was giving the answer, before being asked.
- Hand out the list of words one month before the BINGO game and let the students review the definitions and then do #1, with no help from other students. This is my plan for next year. 🙂
- Call out the word. If the student has the word, he/she must give the definition in order to place a marker there.
- Do you own thing with the game and share what you did here. 🙂
Now for the links to get the above mentioned game. Enjoy!
Disclaimer: I have gone over this several times. I have made mistakes each time. I think I have fixed them; however, since I am part human and part alien, you may find mistakes. PLEASE let me know these mistakes so I can fix them for everyone. Thank you.
If you have used these and like them, please let me know. I would really appreciate it!