Last week the girls and I headed out to the homeschool co-op to clean up, organize, and make an inventory of the science supplies. Little did we know that was going to be a serious job!
Our co-op has a small, and I mean small, storage closet. We keep all of our goods in there. We even have a small refrigerator in there for drinks. Three drinks are missing now. 😉
I am really surprised how much the administration packed in there. Here, let me show you. This is from the door and it is the left side of the closet. The right side looks just like it.
See the cabinet way in the back behind EVERYTHING? That is the science cabinet I needed to get to. So, out comes everything in the way. Doesn’t take but a few minutes to roll out what needs to come out.
Here is the cabinet just after I started cleaning it out. I forgot to take a before photo. I had already taken out four boxes, two microscopes, and a bunch of other things thrown in.
This next photo is the cabinet you see on the left side of the top photo. It is not a science cabinet, but a lot of science equipment found its way in there. So, out it came.
All of it came off the shelves, out of the boxes, and onto a table where we started to organize and count each item. I got my daughters involved in the job too. They were great helpers! The youngest counted most of the supplies, while I wrote down the information.
Another worked on our facilitator’s mailbox. There is a folder for each facilitator in the co-op. All homework, notes, and important information, are put in the appropriate folder. This box is rolled out each co-op morning, so that it is accessible to everyone.
My oldest daughter printed all the labels I needed for shelves and boxes. After all the boxes were emptied and items counted, I sorted each item and labeled the boxes.
Then everything went back into the cabinets. Well almost everything.
I took home all the slides to sort.
Every slides was documented, arranged in order, and labeled. I printed the slide list off of Apologia site and taped them to the inside of the boxes. I also labeled which ones were for Anatomy, Biology, and Elementary. Whew, so glad that is done!
I also brought home the dissecting equipment. They were sorted, cleaned, and repacked. Some items were thrown out, but not as many as I threw out last year.
When I started facilitating at this co-op three years ago, I taught Physical Science. I borrowed six test-tubes from my MIL, because I could not find any in the right size at the co-op. After cleaning out the cabinets, we counted 48 test tubes in the medium size. FORTY-EIGHT! That is not counting the smaller size or the larger size.
We also have several alcohol burners. It got me all giddy inside. I don’t teach anything that uses alcohol burners, but I am so excited we have them. Who knows, maybe one day I’ll teach Chemistry. It has crossed my mind. My son thinks I am out of my mind, but that is another story. For now, we have alcohol burners! WooHoo!!
I should mention that we also have a bucket of 20 crawfish waiting in the closet to be dissected. Come back tomorrow for a photo. 🙂