I bought a huge turkey breast just for this recipe. It looked so yummy in the photo and so easy to make.
One problem. It calls for one envelope dry onion soup mix, which we cannot have. It didn’t take me long to find a recipe to make my own. Again, one problem. Calls for beef bouillon powder. We cannot have that either. Sooo, what to do…
I make the Onion Soup Mix minus the beef bouillon. Source: Food.com
- 3/4 cup instant minced onion
- 1/3 cup beef bouillon powder
- 4 teaspoons onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed celery seed
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
Combine all ingredients and store in an airtight container.
About 5 tablespoons of mix are equal to 1 1¼-ounce package.
Then I prepared the turkey breast according to the recipe. Easy-peasy!
- 1 (6 pound) bone-in turkey breast
- 6 TB of the above onion soup mix
- 1 TB of beef broth (all natural)
Rinse the turkey breast and pat dry (I didn’t pat dry). Cut off any excess skin, but leave the skin covering the breast. Rub onion soup mix all over outside of the turkey and under the skin. Place in a slow cooker. Cover, and cook on High for 1 hour, then set to Low, and cook for 7 hours.
Served with: Left over rice, gravy from the turkey, and raw veggies.
- Me: Way easy to make. We got home later than expected so the turkey breast was a little dry. I liked it and will make again.
- Husband: He liked it and wants it again, but served on time. lol
- The Violinist and Pea #1 liked it served with BBQ sauce.
- Pea #2 liked it a little.
- The Son: Never touched it.