Pinterest Nailed It/Failed It

Another month, another challenge.  This month I got to pick the project I wanted to do.  I don’t know if that was a good idea or not.

My project was the Embroidered Portraits.   Which came from Country Living.

The first thing I did was pick a photo.  This took a long time.   I chose my oldest daughter, because well, just because she is beautiful and I had some up-close shots of her. :)

Now which one?

I decided on the black and white one.  I thought I would get the details I wanted on it.

Supplies Needed:  The picture, watercolor paper, blue tape, pencils, T-pins, and a glass of wine.

Tape the picture on the watercolor paper, so that the paper will not move while punching holes.

Next step, marking the outlines I think will be nice.

After erasing some lines and adding more lines, I was satisfied.  Now comes the fun part, I get to poke holes in my daughter’s face.  JOY!  NOT!  I got real nervous at this point.  I didn’t want to mess it up.

I started thinking clearly after a few sips of wine.  This photo is just a black and white copy, printed off the printer.  If I mess it up, I can just print another one and raid my 2nd daughter’s art box for another watercolor paper.  See, wine solves a lot of problems.

I used the T-pen to make the holes to put the needle and thread through.  I think I did a pretty good job of it.  At least it looks good so far!

After the holes have been punched, I carefully removed the blue tape and the photo. All that is left is a white piece of paper filled with holes.

It’s at this point I realize I don’t have any black embroidery thread.  So, I put the paper away until I can get some.  I wake up this morning and realize, I still had not started the embroidery or even bought the thread for it!   Stopped by Michael’s bought some thread and got started on the picture.

Let me tell you, working on paper is a pain in the butt!  I am use to sewing on fabric, not this stabbing of the needle from the front and the back.  Ug… I had to turn the paper front to back every time I needed to put the needle through.  Annoying!

The other problem was I had to make sure I used all the holes.  There were a few places I had to add another hole just to make the stitches work right.

The eyes were another problem.  Making a solid pupil on paper with thread isn’t that easy, but I managed it.  I’m not too happy with the bridge of her glasses.  Don’t know if I can fix it by adding a few stitches on the left side.  Will have to look at it a while an consider it.

With the above problems, I think I did a pretty good job.

The next difficult piece will be at the ear and earrings on the right.  When I get this done, I’ll post the finished product.

Even though I don’t like the stabbing of the needle, I like how it is turning out.  Right now,  I say I have 3/4 of it nailed.  When finished, I’ll decide if I have really Nailed It or Failed it.

To see what other peeps are doing in this dumb idea of actually doing something from Pinterest, click on their buttons below.

About these ads

8 responses to “Pinterest Nailed It/Failed It

  1. A few sips of wine always does make things clearer. I think it looks neat so far. I can imagine that it is a pain.

  2. Wine definitely helps us!!!! I love it enough to try it for the Princess during Winter break!!!!! Thank you so much for doing this!! Great picture of your daughter!!!!

  3. Wine makes everything better! It looks great, Applie, and really fun. Good job. I can’t wait to see the finished project.

  4. Pingback: Nailed It or Failed It? The Pinterest Challenge - Not Inadequate

  5. What an interesting idea. Do you have to worry about the paper ripping? I imagine you have to go very slowly and carefully to get it just right. Fabric would be infinitely easier, if there were some way to transfer the design to that. It’s definitely on it’s way to being Nailed!

    • The paper is good quality watercolor paper, so it is very white and stiff. I had no problem with it bending or tearing. Since it was stiff, I didn’t have to be that careful in pushing in the pen and thread. There are instructions on how to do this on fabric, but I like the paper better. The paper gives a nice texture background, it’s very white, and easy to frame. With fabric you have to stretch it over a frame of some sort, usually acid free foam board and use acid free white tape.

      If I ever did this on fabric I would do it as Redwork. Dark red, of course. :)

  6. I LOVE this! So cute! I agree with Kristy – fabric would be easier, but I like the look of the paper.

    I get irrationally nervous about stuff, too. I’m still terrified of my serger. Not sure wine would help with that, though.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s