Module 12 – Phylum Arthropoda
Pylum Arthropoda – This is my favorite module and I was not able to lecture on it more than one day. We basically covered only the general Characteristics of Arthropods, characteristics in the class Arachnida and insecta. We could have easily stayed here for three weeks.
We were only able to really cover the crayfish. Dissection of the Crayfish.
This is the module the students begin to collect their insect specimens.
The requirements are:
- 30 different insects. It can be more than one kind of beetle or more than one kind of butterfly, but they cannot have all beetles or all butterflies.
- They must be pinned on a foam board in a neat order.
- They must be labeled with phylum and class. Naming the insect would be great too.
- Due at the end of the year.
- Any different insects they collect after the 30, will be extra credit.
- How to collect insects at night.
- How to kill an insect in a killing jar.
- What the insect board should look like.